« Back to previous page

Harris' Ferry

  • Riverfront Park (opposite Harris/Cameron Mansion), S. Front St., Harrisburg Harrisburg, PA 17101

In 1733, English settler and frontier trader John Harris secured permission to operate a ferry at the site of the trading post he had established some years before along the Susquehanna River. That same year, Harris also acquired grants for two tracts of land totaling 800 acres around the site of his ferry. For more than 50 years, John Harris’ ferry served as the crossing point for many of the Scottish, Irish, and German immigrants that traveled west and populated the Pennsylvania frontier. John Harris died in 1748, leaving the management of his lands and estate to his son, John Harris Jr. The 800 acres of land Harris had acquired would eventually become Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s capital city.