Harrisburg, PA (Dec. 12, 2018) - See the latest list from the PA Farm Show Complex & Expo Center detailing all the new events and experiences the organizers have added for the 2019 Pennsylvania Farm Show in Harrisburg from Jan. 6-12, 2019.
Youth Shine in Starring Roles
More PA Youth will show off their skills and continue to inspire us with these new additions to the Largest Indoor Agriculture Expo in 2019:
- Jr. and Sr. Pleasure Draft Horse Decorating
- Yearling Ram and SimAngus classes (open SimAngus will also be new)
- Jr. Vegetable show.
- Also new this year, qualifiers from each animal class will compete for the title of Master Showman in four age groups.
- Members of a new Youth Committee will plan, host, and emcee events, and act as ambassadors to strengthen the youth voice in the show.
Tasty Treats with an Organic Twist, New from Savor
- The Cyclone, a delightful cone of PA Preferred® brioche bread made with organic flour and filled with your choice of organic chicken, or pasture-raised pork smoked on-site, topped with chow chow;
- The Layer, five-cheese mac & cheese layered with corn pudding, chow chow, and your choice of organic pork or chicken, drizzled with house-made gold sauce.
- A broccoli and egg breakfast sandwich with your choice of sausage or ham hits multiple food groups for a balanced breakfast from the PA Vegetable Growers Association.
- More food options will be available in more locations to please every taste from vegan to hard-core carnivore.
Cider Sippin’ Story
- The Cider Competition was new in 2018.
- Now that it’s an established competition, you can sample the fruits of PA's finest hard cider producers’ labors.
- Stop by the PA Cider Guild’s booth in Main Hall to sip and sample one, or a few, of our hottest new PA products.
Take Some Goodness Home
- Hit the new Farmers Market in the Main Hall for some take-home tastes of PA brought to you by the PA Farmers Market Association.
- Take home some cheese, honey, maple products, potatoes, veggies and apples to keep the story alive at home.
Craft Beer Connoisseurs’ Delight
- Craft Beer has joined the ranks of Farm Show competitions.
- More than 150 intriguing varieties from craft brewers from Philadelphia County to Allegheny County and everywhere in between will vie for bragging rights in our first-ever statewide competition.
- From Hefeweizens to Schwarzbiers, find out who will win bragging rights and walk away with Best in Class, Best of Show and the PA Preferred® Legacy Award.
Be Inspired by STEM
- Science Technology, Engineering and Math applied in agriculture gives us better food; healthier animals, plants and soil, and helps us tackle climate challenges.
- Visit the Lancaster Farming Stage in the Expo Hall on Tuesday for a peak at some world champion robotics, and a host of other demonstrations of STEM in agriculture.
Rabbits Multiplying, Well, Like Rabbits
- Seven new bunny varieties will join the perennial Farm Show favorite Rabbit Competition.
- Angorapalooza and the Celebrity Rabbit Hop will also feature the adorable rodents in crowd-pleasing competitions.
- Hand-crafted items will be demonstrated and displayed in the new Artisans Alley.
- Illustrate your Farm Show story with the artistry of lace makers, spinners, wheat weavers, horse-hair braiders, pottery, chair caners, bead makers, painters and more.
Proud of Our Pumpkins
- Pennsylvania is pumpkin proud, and we’re showing it off with two new pumpkin competition classes ─ Warty and Blue.
- Check out these funky pumpkins in the Main Hall.
Double Your Draft Horse Fun
- Gelding classes will be split into Registered and Grade classes
- In the Draft Horse Pleasure Show, Gelding and Mare Halter classes will be added to the mix.
What Makes a Great Egg?
- Find out with new white and brown classes in the Farm Show Egg Competition.
Honey for Your Honey
- Expanded Apiary Competition will include Light & Dark Hogg Halfcomb classes.
- Mystified by bee-keeping terms? Come to the Celebrity Honey Extraction Demo on Friday, January 11 on the Main Hall Stage
- Watch some high-profile types get all sticky getting PA's liquid gold out of the honeycomb.
Write a Dairy Diary
- Opportunities to do some Cow Milking of your own, with more cows in a bigger space
- Celebrity Cow Milking Contest in the Equine Arena on Friday the 11th.
- Watch your favorite PA luminary scramble to load a skid pulled by a team of draft horses in the new Celebrity Feed Scurry.
- Miss Pennsylvania will be pitted against media types and legislators in this exciting new race on Thursday in the Equine Arena.
- An interactive Farm Safety exhibit and a Food Safety exhibit hosted by the PA Department of Agriculture Bureau of Food Safety
- Pennsylvania State University, FDA, and USDA Food Safety & Inspection Services will demonstrate how PA farmers and government work together to keep food safe from the farm to your table.
Stories On Stage
- Special guest readers and “green stories” will take center stage during Children’s Story Time featuring agriculture-centric tales for the very young and young at heart daily on the Main Hall Stage.
- 2018’s masterful rendering of Star Wars’ Princess Leia in kidney beans and peppercorns was such a stellar hit, 2019 brings an official Crop Art Competition to the Family Living line-up.
- Artists will try their hand at creating 2- and 3-D art entirely from dry seeds and beans.
- A new area in the Expo Hall will feature the latest in Organic Farming with composting, vermiculture, and conservation will be in the spotlight with no-till rollers, crimpers, transplanters and other green planting practices demonstrated.
Be a Farm Show Social Star
- Follow Farm Show on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest from the show, whether it’s parking lot closings, a first peek at a newborn calf, crazy-looking chickens, celebrity sightings, or maybe even you! Tag us to share your adventures – @PAFarmShow