The Walnut Street Bridge was manufactured by the Phoenix Bridge Company, Phoenixville PA. One of the nation’s oldest and longest Phoenix-type bridges, the Walnut Street Bridge has been an important Harrisburg landmark since its construction. Built by the city of Harrisburg following a public outcry against the exorbitant fees and toll monopoly held by the Camelback Bridge, the Walnut Street Bridge was complete in April 1890. The bridge served the city until it was severely damaged by Hurricane Agnes in 1972 and closed to vehicular traffic. It remained open for pedestrians crossing to the West Shore until the western spans of the bridge collapsed in 1996, several weeks after a January 20th flood. The eastern spans of the bridge were repaired and continue to serve foot traffic to City Island.