Originally known as the Felton School, Steelton High School was built in 1882 by the Pennsylvania Steel Company as a gift to the town. It was named after the company’s first president, Samuel N. Felton and was the oldest continually operating high school in Pennsylvania. Two additions in 1900 enlarged the school, which remained the borough’s high school until 1959. At that time Steelton merged with Highspire High School to create the Steelton-Highspire School District, an important shift from traditional neighborhood schooling to more suburban school systems. The Felton School building was then used as an elementary school until 2008. It is now home to lofted apartments.