Simon Cameron School is one of Harrisburg’s two surviving school buildings completed before 1900. The school is named in honor of prominent Pennsylvania politician Simon Cameron. Erected on Green Street in 1896, the Romanesque/Second Revival brick and frame building was designed by city architects Foose & Lloyd, whose firm constructed numerous public and private buildings throughout the city. Construction of the school was necessitated by the city’s expansion at the end of the 19th century. The school served the children of Engleton, an uptown subdivision of the city comprised largely of Italianate and Queen Anne style homes. It remained in use as an elementary school until 1972. For a number of years the school was used as a federal jobs training center before being converted in 1987 to 35 loft-style apartments. The building retains many of its original features including its high ceilings and 9 foot tall windows.