The Sheffield Apartments is a 3 story brick Mission Revival style building erected by the George Sheffer Construction Company in 1925. It is located among an enclave of Victorian mansions on Third Street in Harrisburg. The Sheffield is possibly the first multi-family dwelling constructed on a block of free-standing homes in a historically middle to upper class neighborhood. It enabled people who couldn’t afford the large homes typical of the area to live in what was then the most desirable area of the city. Apartments were popularized in the late 19th century as compact residences for the workers necessary to propel commercial growth in American cities like Harrisburg. Most of the purpose-built apartment buildings in Harrisburg were concentrated in the downtown area, making the Sheffield a significant departure in the city’s residential architecture.