First constructed of logs, Salem United Church of Christ was erected on land granted for religious purposes by Harrisburg founder John Harris Jr. in 1785. The log building was the first church structure erected in Harrisburg. The current building was erected between 1821 and 1822 by architects Samuel Pool and Henry V. Wilson. The two story brick structure features a large square tower topped with a domed cupola. A Sunday school annex was added to the building in 1862. In 1890, the church fell victim to arson and suffered serious damage requiring extensive repair. The exterior of the church has remained untouched since those repairs were completed. The interior has been remodeled three times and now bears little resemblance to the original construction.