« Back to previous page

Saint Peter's Kierch

  • 31 W High St. Middletown, PA 17057
  • 717-944-4651
Overview
Yelp

Built of red sandstone, this two and a half story Georgian church stands at the intersection of Union and High Streets in Middletown. Construction on the building began in 1767 on a plot of land purchased from Middletown founder George Fisher. The church was completed in 1769 and dedicated by the Reverend Doctor Henry Muhlenberg, a pioneer of Lutheranism in America. The congregation at St. Peter’s Kierch expanded until it outgrew the small church in 1879 when a new building was dedicated several blocks away. Known today as St. Peter’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, the congregation continues to hold occasional services at St. Peter’s Kierch.