The Pennsylvania State Archives was created in 1903 as the Division of Public Records in the State Library. The archives, State Library, and State Museum were all housed next door to the State Capitol in the Executive, Library, and Museum building which is now the Matthew J. Ryan building. The building was quickly outgrown and in 1964, new building were completed for the State Archives and State Museum at their present location near the intersection of Third and Forster Streets. The archives is the state's official repository for government records, and holds such important documents as Pennsylvania's original royal charter granted to William Penn in 1680. It is also home to document collections relating to significant Pennsylvania individuals, families, and businesses.