The Pennsylvania Farm Show traces its roots to an agricultural fair held by the Pennsylvania Agricultural Society from 1851 until 1899. In 1916, Pennsylvania Secretary of Agriculture Charles Patton worked to establish a new show that would display the bounty of Pennsylvania’s harvests. Held in 1917 at a Harrisburg farm implement dealer, the three day event was an immense success. The annual event continued to grow, adding livestock exhibits in 1921 and poultry exhibits in 1923, the same year the show expanded from three days to five. The Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture took over the show in 1925 as attendance grew to 40,000. In 1931 the original Farm Show building was completed, which included a 3,000 seat arena. The show continued to grow, as did the complex itself. Today the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex & Expo Center occupies 60 acres. The annual Farm Show, held each year in January, has become the largest indoor agricultural event in the nation.