The Juanita Division of the Pennsylvania Canal was part of the 395 mile long Main Line of Public Works. Completed in 1832, the Juniata Division of the canal was constructed in two parts. The first segment ran 40 miles from the mouth of the Juniata River north to Lewistown, and the second segment ran from that point to Hollidaysburg and the eastern terminus of the Allegheny & Portage Railroad. The completed canal system cost millions and required an enormous labor force, many of who were Irish immigrants recruited through newspaper ads placed in Ireland. Requiring frequent and expensive maintenance, the canals were never profitable and could not operate during frozen winter months. They were soon eclipsed by the swiftly growing railroad industry.