The Pennsylvania Railroad GG1 Streamlined Electric Locomotive #4859 was developed in the 1930s as a replacement for the railroad’s then-standard electric locomotive, the P5A. The GG1 was powered by 12 385 horsepower traction motors and was capable of traveling at more than 100 miles an hour. Its exterior was enhanced by designer Raymond Loewy who had the body of the locomotive welded instead of riveted to give it a streamlined appearance. Its green color scheme with gold pinstripes became the Pennsylvania Railroad’s standard scheme for all its locomotives for the next twenty years. Number 4859 was completed in December 1937 at the railroad’s Altoona Works. In 1938, it pulled the first electric powered train from Philadelphia to Harrisburg. The #4859 remained in use on the Pennsylvania Railroad and its successors until 1979 when it was purchased by the Harrisburg Chapter of the National Railroad Historical Society. The locomotive is now housed at the Harrisburg Transportation Center.