Harrisburg’s Old Uptown Historic District is bounded by Maclay Street to the north, Reily Street to the South, Second Street to the West, and Third Street to the east. The area is characterized by many large Italianate and Queen Anne style buildings erected in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, primarily between 1895 and 1905. It is home to Harrisburg’s largest concentration of Queen Anne homes. The area developed rapidly during Harrisburg’s transition from town to industrialized city and accommodated an expanding population of largely merchants, professionals, and service industry workers. A majority of the land the district occupies was originally owned by two prominent Harrisburg families; the Reilys, and the Ebys, who sold land to developers. Developers in turn created the unified architectural appearance that drew many to the area, including many notable Harrisburgers including William Hargest, Claude Robbins, Charles Adler, and Mary Sachs.