The Millersburg Passenger Rail Station was completed in 1898 by the Northern Central Railway. The two story brick and frame Queen Anne style building replaced an earlier rail station located across Wiconisco Creek from Millersburg. Millersburg was a longtime transportation hub - the ferry located there provided transportation for travelers and goods from the north to the Pennsylvania Canal and across the Susquehanna River. The railroad arrived in the area around 1858 with the completion of the Susquehanna Branch of the Northern Central Railroad, making Millersburg an important transport center for coal mined from the Lykens and Summit Mountain coal fields. Beginning in 1872, Millersburg borough council began to petition the Northern Central for a new station located in the town, claiming the station across Wiconisco Creek was difficult for residents to access. The council’s efforts were unsuccessful until 1896 when the Board of Trade circulated a petition signed by townspeople. The new station was opened to the public on March 31, 1898. The Northern Central Railroad was slowly taken over by the Pennsylvania Railroad, and under its management the Susquehanna Branch became one of the most efficient and best-run rail lines in the country, further expanding Millersburg’s ability to serve as a transportation hub and making the town the largest and most profitable in Northern Dauphin County. The 1898 building remained largely unchanged and in use as a passenger station until 1960. In 1982, Millersburg Historical Society purchased the building for use as a visitor information center and offices for the Chamber of Commerce and Millersburg Ferry Boat Association.