The Market Street Bridge is the second oldest remaining bridge in Harrisburg and the third bridge constructed at its location. The bridge replaced an earlier timber covered bridge (the Camelback Bridge) originally designed and built by Theodore Burr in 1814. The 1814 bridge had been destroyed and rebuilt twice. The Market Street Bridge was designed by Ralph Modjeski and Frank Waters and built by the James McGraw Company. Construction on the bridge, which features sixteen 89 foot long barrel arches began in 1928. The bridge was completed and opened to traffic in 1934. The columns that flank the eastern end of the bridge were salvaged from Harrisburg’s first capitol building that had been destroyed by fire in 1897.