Located on Main Street in Hummelstown, the Keystone Hotel is a 2.5 story brick Federal style building erected in 1839 to replace an earlier inn destroyed by fire. It is one of two 19th century hotel buildings remaining in Hummelstown. Proprietor John Fox originally established an inn on the site in 1786. George Fox inherited the property from his father, rebuilding and expanding the inn following the 1839 fire. Situated along both the Union Canal and the Reading to Harrisburg Turnpike at its junction with the Horseshoe Pike to Downingtown, Hummelstown was a natural stop for travelers. During the late 19th century, there were 6 hotels operating in the borough and of those six, the Keystone was the premier location. The hotel also served as temporary lodgings for Hummelstown Brownstone Quarry workers who stayed there until they had saved enough money to build homes of their own. Over the years, the hotel has been a town polling place, a center for livestock sales, and the location of one of Hummelstown’s first telephones and first radios.