This two story brick Collegiate Classical style building was constructed in stages, beginning with a four room school house in 1875. Four additions in 1902, 1915, 1926, and 1939 enlarged the building to its present size. Highspire’s original school building and the largest public building in the town, the high school long served as the community’s focal point. It is a good example of the traditional neighborhood high school, representing a time before many towns adopted a more regionalized and suburban school system, combining children from several towns. The building is one of few historic structures remaining in Highspire due both to street widening projects and redevelopment necessitated by flooding.