« Back to previous page

Harrisburg Historic District

  • 1230 N 3rd St Harrisburg, PA 17101

Harrisburg Historic District is bounded on the west by the Susquehanna River, on the north by Forster Street, on the east by Third Street, and on the south by Hanna Street. It is a 19th century residential district comprising about twenty blocks containing around 500 structures. Of those structures, approximately half to two-thirds date from the 19th century. The combination of Victorian row homes and earlier Federal-style buildings illustrate Harrisburg’s position as a prosperous 19th century city. The area includes a number of notable Victorian mansions alone Front Street as well as city founder John Harris’s grave. The district encapsulates the original core of the city and from it can be traced the city’s subsequent social and industrial development.