The Harrisburg Central Railroad Station was built in 1887 by the Pennsylvania Railroad. The red brick building is the third station built on the same site and is the most notable structure that remains from Harrisburg’s time as a transportation hub and major stop on the Pennsylvania Railroad Main Line, running from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh. A fine example of typical turn-of-the-century railroad construction, it is one of few remaining stations that still possess a train shed above the tracks. The train shed at the Harrisburg station is built using the Fink Truss System. Patented in 1854 by Albert Fink, the system was noted for its capacity to span long distances with a relatively lightweight structural configuration.