This two story brick Colonial Revival style building was built in 1929 as an interlocking or signal control tower by the Pennsylvania Railroad. Upon its completion, it was considered one of the most modern switch tower facilities on the Pennsylvania Railroad. From the completion of the Pennsylvania Railroad Main Line from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh in 1854 until well into the 20th century, much of the nation’s east to west rail traffic passed through Harrisburg. The Harris Switch Tower controlled that traffic as it passed through the Harrisburg station. The tower remained in use until it was closed by Amtrak in 1991. In 1992, the building was purchased by the local chapter of the National Railway Historical Society. Much of the tower’s interlock machinery remains intact.