« Back to previous page

Hanover Church

  • U.S. 22 at Pa. 743, 13.4 miles NE of Harrisburg Grantville, PA

Hanover Presbyterian Church was established in 1736 to provide a place of worship for the numerous Scots-Irish settlers living in the area who otherwise would have had to travel 15 or 20 miles (a day’s journey) to attend either Derry or Paxton Presbyterian Churches. Though the church no longer exists the cemetery, also known as “The Old English Graveyard”, remains. Buried there are numerous veterans of both the French and Indian and Revolutionary Wars, early settlers, and two U.S. Congressmen.