Grace Methodist Church traces its beginnings to the first Methodist society organized in Harrisburg. The society began with 5 members in 1810 and by 1820, the congregation had grown large enough to construct a small church on South Street. The congregation would continue to grow, and by 1839 had relocated to a larger building. By 1873, construction began several blocks away at the church’s current location of 216 State Street. Designed by Baltimore architect Frank Davis, the soaring Gothic Revival style building became a landmark for Methodism in the area. When the Pennsylvania Capitol burned in 1897, Grace became the temporary home of the State Legislature, with the House of Representatives meeting in the church’s main sanctuary until a new legislative building was hastily completed in 1899.