« Back to previous page

Fort Manada

  • Pa. 443 between Manada Gap and Penn National Race Course Grantville, PA

Fort Manada was situated 12 miles from Fort Hunter somewhere near a gap in the Blue Mountains known as Manada Gap. Frontier settler James Brown erected and fortified his log home surrounded by a stockade in order to protect other settlers from attacks by Native Americans passing through the mountain gap. In 1757, provincial Captain Frederick Smith improved the location as a sub-fort of the larger Fort Swatara and staffed it with a company of volunteer soldiers until 1757.