This 2.5 story T-shaped brick home was built on Main Street in Hummelstown for Enoch Matlack, a tanner, in 1872. The only home of its style and one of the ten largest mansion-type structures in Hummelstown, the home has a cross-gabled roof and second story balconies on either side of its rear section. The grand size and styling of the home reflects the town’s wealth during the height of the operation of the Hummelstown Brownstone Quarry. In the 19th century, Hummelstown brownstone was an extremely popular building material throughout much of the United States. William Fox, a partner in the Walmer & Fox carriage making firm, and his wife purchased the house in 1887. In 1907, the Fox’s sold the home to Doctor Simon Earnest, an ear, nose, and throat specialist who lived and practiced in the home until 1935. The home remains a private residence today.