« Back to previous page

Dauphin County

  • Courthouse, Front & Market Sts. Harrisburg, PA 17101
Overview
Yelp

Dauphin County was formed in 1785 from a portion of Lancaster County following a successful appeal to the state’s General Assembly by John Harris, Jr. who argued that he should not be forced to travel from Harris Ferry (later Harrisburg) to Lancaster to conduct legal business and court sessions. To recognize his contribution in America’s fight for independence, the county is named in honor of the King of France’s son. Dauphin County’s first court house, located on Front Street in Harrisburg temporarily became America’s capitol in 1812 and has served as the home of Pennsylvania’s capitol since 1812.