« Back to previous page

Camp George Gordon Meade

  • Pa. 441 at Middletown Area High School near Pa. Turnpike overpass Middletown, PA 17057

Spanish American War Camp George Gordon Meade, named for the Civil War general, comprised three square miles of ground a half mile northeast of the present location of Middletown High School. Established August 24, 1898 in an attempt to outrun a typhoid epidemic that had broken out at Camp Alger in Falls Church Virginia, the camp was occupied by the 22,000 men of the 2nd Army Corps. Only in operation for a few months, the camp was abandoned around November 1898. It was reopened for a short time in 1899 to serve as a mustering-out location for a number of volunteer units.