Following the surrender of Fort Sumter in April 1861 and President Lincoln’s call for 75,000 volunteer soldiers, Pennsylvania Governor Andrew Curtin urged Pennsylvanians to take up the call to arms. As men began to gather in Harrisburg, Governor Curtin recognized the need for an establish camp to train and supply men. He authorized the leader of the Pennsylvania State Militia to overtake the grounds of the Dauphin County Agricultural Society, located between Reel’s Lane on the north, the railroad tracks on the east, Maclay Street on the south, and 5th Street on the west. Harrisburg’s location as a major rail center made it an ideal location for moving both men and supplies into the field. Camp Curtin became the Union Army’s largest camp, with over 300,000 men passing through during the course of the war. The camp also served as a major mustering-out location at the end of the war, and officially closed on November 11, 1865.