Now known as Camp Curtin Memorial-Mitchell United Methodist Church, this late Victorian/Romanesque style granite-over-brick church was built in commemoration of Camp Curtin, the Union Army’s largest training camp during the Civil War. Throughout the 19th century Harrisburg was an important transportation and communication hub, making it an ideal location for a military training camp. The rear portion of the church was designed by Sidney Badgley of Cleveland, Ohio and completed in 1895. In 1916, the primary sanctuary designed by prolific church architect George Savage was added. The interior of the sanctuary is notable for its large mural painted by C. Day Rudy of Christ tending a wounded Union soldier. Rudy was a “Sixteener”; one of a group of Civil War orphans who received education until the age of sixteen at an orphan’s school established by Pennsylvania’s then-Governor, Andrew Curtin. In 1922, Pennsylvania purchased the lot adjoining the church for a park and there erected a statue of Governor Curtin. The park is the smallest state-owned park.