« Back to previous page

Camel Back Bridge

  • Riverfront Park, Front & Market Sts. Harrisburg, PA 17101
Overview
Yelp

Designed by Theodore Burr and completed by Jacob Nailor in 1820, the Camel Back Bridge was the first bridge to cross the Susquehanna River at Harrisburg, allowing for improved commerce and trade throughout the area. The wooden covered bridge was constructed in two sections, one stretching from Harrisburg to City Island, and the other from City Island to what is now Lemoyne. The bridge was wide enough to accommodate two-way traffic, required a toll to cross, and remained the only bridge to span the river until the completion of the Walnut Street Bridge in 1890. The bridge was heavily damaged by flooding in 1902 and demolished shortly thereafter.