« Back to previous page

Barnett’s Fort

  • 39, 1.3 miles E of Linglestown near intersection with Piketown Rd. Harrisburg, PA 17112

The log home erected near this marker served as one of several settler’s forts protecting travelers along the former Native American trail (now Linglestown Road/PA 39) leading west toward Fort Hunter. Stories persist that Joseph Barnett’s son William was stolen by Native Americans in 1757 and was one of many white captives recovered by Col. Henry Bouquet in 1764 as part of a peace treaty struck west of Fort Pitt.